Monday, February 27, 2006

Club Tropicana drinks are free ..

After promptings from NB I reckon I might write a bit about what it is like here etc .. these are the very random fruits of my observations so far anyway..

I think the one main thing I notice here is how much it is like England and by extension like home. What I mean is that when I was in the U S Of A there were always little things that made you constantly aware you were in the US whereas here it is quite easy to at times feel like you are at home. The TV is the same as at home, all those CSI this that and the other fill the airwaves. The simpsons is on at 7 bells daily as it is at home parkinson is on primetime on saturday night. In the supermarkets most of the familiar brands are available e.g hob nobs , campbells tomato soup.

Items I thought would be lenghty and tedious to do were in actual fact simple to do, I am thinking particularly of opening a bank account and getting my tax number both done easily , I contrast this to the torture of completing this chores at home.

The one other major thing that hits you here is that sport is all important here, there seems to be a bewidering number of sea and field sports played here.

Being in Sydney is probably not the best place to get to know the real Austrailia as it is very cosmopolitan, it is as much a melting pot as New York or London.
Bondi and it surrounds is completely tourist, there is never an Irish accent or GAA Jersey far away. In there proper context GAA Jerseys are great but they really do look a bit gaudy down on the beach.

3 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hob Nobs? I'd have called them 'Chuzz Wuzzas'.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to take a guess as to the 'Top Five Gaa Geansais to be seen Down Under!
1. Offaly (as Biffos seem incapable of wearing anything else)
2. Tipp (They get in your way no matter where you are)
3. Tyrone (Nordies. Like death and atxes, always with us)
4. Cork (annoying langers)
5. Dubland (on the law of averages)

Least likely: Carlow.

Am I right?

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen, Tipp/cork/laois/waterford/donegal jerseys

dub accents everywhere you turn down on bondi

Tom o'Connor was telling me they call it county Bondi .. not hard to see why although down on bondi beach you could meet anyone from anywhere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home